When it comes to sensory challenges there are few ideas that help parents to understand their child better and engage in a fun activity that let the child express their feeling and feel in control of the situation.
- Tactile – de-sensitization : play dough and give the child a cookie cutter , any tool and slowly introduce the touch feeling, Or when using finger paint use a glove , brush and work towards sense of control.
- Auditory : use sound reducing ear-muffs which should be available for the difficult noisy experiences. In addition implement therapeutic listening -an approach that recognizes that listening goes well beyond the ears and is a function of the brain .
- Smell – throw out the house hold garbage on a daily basis.
- Vestibular system : Make sure to create opportunities to move at times that are appropriate , like jumping on the trampoline 20 minutes prior to dinner ,so that at dinner time the child won’t have the need to jump around.
- proprioceptive input : Have your child help you take out the washing from the washing machine or push the grocery cart at the shop.